Thursday, July 14, 2011

Grape Vine

So what does it mean to walk in the Spirit?  Today is one of those days where I wish you were sitting across from me in a coffee shop with a cup of coffee, so that we could have this discussion eye-to-eye.  How I wish I could hear your thoughts on this.  Maybe you too struggle understanding this concept like I do.  Maybe you experience victory on some days while other days are filled with defeat?

I'm reading a great book by Charles F. Stanley called the Wonderful Spirit-filled Life.  It is a great read, much to ponder and to explore; a book I can really recommend.

I don't know about you, but good enough is not good enough for me.

I do not just want to get by every day in my walk with God.  I truly believe that it must be possible to live a life filled with the fruit of the Spirit if the Bible talks about it.  God is bigger than my temper and my impatience.  I do not want to settle for mediocre if He said it could be otherwise.

Dr. Stanley writes, "The power of the Holy Spirit is available only to those whose intention is to carry out His will."

Good one.

Do I vie for His power added to my will?  If so, no wonder I'm getting nowhere!

Every time I study the fruit of the Spirit  I end up at John 15, the very well known verses from John 15, "5 'I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.'


Each time I have to ask God what it means?

What does this look like in day to day living? How do I remain in Him?  Jesus answers this question just a few verses down by saying that when we obey His commands we remain in Him.  Yet He desires our obedience to be so much more than that of the Pharisees who was excellent at obeying the commands, but lacked love for Him.

"The Spirit-filled life is a life of faith," according to Dr. Stanley.

Do you remain in the Vine?  Does your life look different from those who do not proclaim Christ?  Are your days filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  I know I want mine to be filled that way.

I will end this with another quote from Dr. Stanley, "Apart form the Helper (Holy Spirit) life is reduced to doing the best we can......The Spirit-filled life begins once we are absolutely and thoroughly convinced that we can do nothing apart from the indwelling strength of the Holy Spirit."

How does this play out in your life?   I would love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment