Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Walk the walk

Integrity.
I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be a person with integrity.  The short and sweet version is to simply walk the walk.  

According to the dictionary integrity can be defined as:
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness; 
2  the state of being whole and undivided.

Honest.  Undivided.  A state of being whole.  This simply means I should be the same person while chatting to the moms dropping kids off at school than the person I am around my kids when no one from church is around.  I think of this every Sunday morning when we scurry around to get ready for church; so often tempers flare, tears roll in the mission to make it to the church on time.  We finally arrive at church sweaty and in less than worshipping attitudes, but politely say our "fine-thank-you-how-are-yous" as expected of any decent Christian family. Integrity?

I have come to realize that integrity or lack thereof will probably be one of the most important influences that shape my children's perceptions of my walk with God.  It scares me.  So often I preach at them, while so little of God's joy or the fruit of the Spirit is seen in my life.  I want to be the real deal.  Don't get me wrong, I did not say, the perfect deal, just real.  Part of being real is to own up to my mistakes, using it as an example to teach them how we can go to God with our shortcomings or things we struggle to overcome, how we can seek forgiveness and start again.  I just have to challenge myself this morning by asking how often I do that, instead of copping out by playing the all powerful adult. 

Honest. Undivided. Whole.  

Only by His grace.

I want that.

No comments:

Post a Comment